Home > Helpful Tips > What to do if you have damage to your property

What to do if you have damage to your property


  • Promptly report the loss to your Independent Insurance Agent. If it is after hours, a weekend or Holiday please report directly to the company at 800 462 4661and follow the prompts on how to report a claim after hours. The faster you report your claim, the sooner we can help you.

  • Protect property from further damage by arranging for reasonable temporary repairs as soon as possible. For example, if windows are broken contact a glazier or if you have roof damage, contact a roofer. Have windows boarded or the roof tarped to secure your property from further damages. Your local agent may offer local independent contractors who may be able to perform temporary repairs or water extraction and clean-up to prevent further damage in the short-term. You may also consider a brief yellow page or internet search within your local area to locate a professional.

  • Keep an accurate record of all temporary repair expenses including bills and/or material receipts so that we can consider these expenditures with your claim. Please do not make any permanent repairs until the insurance adjuster has had a chance to inspect the damage. It is always good to immediately photograph damages prior to temporary repairs to document the circumstances for the insurance adjuster.

  • Determine the damage to your personal property which are the contents of your home. Make a written list of what was damaged. To be as accurate as possible, please include the manufacturer, brand name and the place and date of purchase. We recommend beginning this process, listing items room by room, listing property in categories such as electronics, furniture, clothing etc. Again, photographs, videotapes or personal property inventories are valuable resources during the itemization process.

  • Please make an effort to separate damaged and undamaged property. In order to complete a full assessment of the loss, the insurance claims adjuster will need to inspect all damaged property. Place damaged items in a secure area where they can be inspected.